The benefit in supporting your neighboring communities is something that I picked up on as an economic developer. However, I truly did not understand the real value until I turned to consulting. It is easy to get caught up in the competition of battling your surrounding cities for projects, especially if you are working in a thriving metroplex. You must remember that partnering with these communities could become one of your greatest assets.
Actively seeking out ways to partner with surrounding communities will help you and your businesses. If your neighbor wins a project, do you think all of the jobs will be filled by people within their city limits? Would you rather your businessmen and women create contacts with someone twenty minutes away or on the other side of the county? Plus, these partnerships will make those regional marketing trips much more enjoyable when you are able to travel with friends.
This post is part of a series of 7. Check out the links below and stay tuned for future posts:
- The Top 6 Lessons I’ve Learned in the First 6 Months of ED Consulting
- Lesson #2: Keep Your Data and Website Current
- Lesson #3: Social Media is Your Friend
- Lesson #4: Soak Up All the Articles and Webinars You Can
- Lesson #5: Strategic Plans vs. Performance Reports
- Lesson #6: Economic Developers Are Full of Wisdom